3 Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Golf Bags
- Length: Men’s bags tend to be a bit longer reflecting the somewhat taller average height for men.
- Weight: Because the bags are longer, men’s bags are slightly heavier than women’s.
- Design: Manufacturers are getting very savvy about bag design. Color schemes, piping, and the overall look can vary from men’s designs to women’s.
4 Categories of Bags
Most bags will fall into one of the following four categories:
- Staff(or Tour) bags: Generally used by professional golfers, these are the biggest, heaviest and most expensive bags in the market. Some are specifically designed for a logo to be highly visible (yes, TV is a factor here). These are usually thought of as bags to be carried by a caddy. Weighing in at a hefty 10 pounds or more, they may be suitable for stopping a Sherman tank - not often found on courses in the United States.
- Cart bags: Usually 6 pounds and up, these are used on, yes that’s correct, a cart. Whether you use a push or pull style cart while walking - even if it is motorized, or if you ride around on a cart, these bags are for you. They have the durability to withstand bouncing around on a cart.
- Stand bags: Clearly designed for the person who likes to get a maximum workout on the course. When someone is carrying their clubs, they will like the fact that these can weigh 5 pounds or even less. They have some sort of assembly, usually two legs, that deploy when the bag is placed on end and it stays upright making it easy to access clubs. Some models have backpack style straps allowing the golfer to carry the bag on their back.
- Travel bags: Made for the golfer that plays in many locations with plane travel a key consideration. There are many variations. This bag will hold your on-course bag and protect it and your expensive clubs from damage as it bangs around in baggage carts, airplane holds, and rental car trunks. They can be either soft sided with padding or hard sided. They are not designed to either look good or to be carried onto the course.
What are the Most Important Features in a Bag?
Other than weight, there are several important features to shop for:
Dividers: Keeping the clubs apart from each other will keep them from scratching and denting.
Pockets: How many pockets you need depends on how much stuff you carry. Rain gear. Balls. Tees. Umbrella. All these and more can go into pockets.
Strap: Especially important for anyone who carries their clubs.
Price: While not the most important feature, keeping an eye on the budget is always a good idea.
Golf-Clubs.com is your one stop shop for all your golfing needs. Apparel for men and women. Shoes. And a huge selection of clubs for every level player. Call us with questions. We love to help!